Please find our frequently asked questions below. If you do not find the answer you are looking for, please get in touch by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 0333 300 1900 and select option 3.
What is the GovernorSpace Governance Leadership Programme?
Entirely funded by the DfE, the GovernorSpace Governance Leadership Programme is designed to help Governing Boards improve their performance against the DfE Competency Framework for Governance. Two representatives, usually the Chair and another member of the Board may apply for the funding. The programme is delivered through self-evaluation, mentoring and a combination of interactive and/or recorded online training, telephone coaching or telephone consultancy. For more information please click here
What is the GovernorSpace Clerking Development Programme?
Entirely funded by the DfE, the GovernorSpace Clerking Development Programme is designed to help Clerks improve their performance against the DfE Clerking Competency Framework. The programme is delivered through self-evaluation, mentoring and interactive online training. For more information please click here
I am not a very experienced clerk, can I still apply?
Yes absolutely, GovernorSpace is for total beginners as well as experienced clerks.
Is there any cost associated with the GovernorSpace Governance Leadership and Clerking Development programme?
No, the GovernorSpace programmes are entirely funded by the DfE.
What is the time commitment for the GovernorSpace Governance Leadership programme?
The total time commitment is around 12 hours per Board (25 hours for a higher rate funded board). Training courses can be allocated to different individuals. The leader of the programme should set aside 5.5 hours for the programme.
What is the time commitment for the GovernorSpace Clerking Development programme?
The total time commitment is around 10 hours per Clerk.
What is the timescale?
The GovernorSpace programmes are designed to be flexible and self-paced to fit around busy schedules. The whole programme should be completed in two terms but can be completed in as little as six weeks if preferred.
Is the GovernorSpace Governance Leadership Programme funding for individual governors or the whole Board?
The GovernorSpace Governance Leadership programme is available to two representatives of each Board. Other governors can register with GovernorSpace to get login details to access the resources, but they should not apply for funding.
How do I apply for GovernorSpace?
Please go to www.governorspace.co.uk
and click the REGISTER button. You will then be taken through the initial registration and application process.
How much does it cost?
The training is fully funded by the DfE. There is no cost to you or your school.
How long do the DfE funding applications take to consider?
The DfE approval process should take 10 – 15 working days as long as all the required information has been provided in the application.
How does the mentoring work?
Each participant is allocated a personal mentor on completion of the self-evaluation. The standard clerking development and governance leadership programmes include 2 x 45 minute mentoring sessions per programme. The higher rate governance leadership development programme includes an additional 45 minute mentoring session. Your mentor will review your self-evaluation and development plan and support you with strategic objective setting as well as offering advice and support on issues you may raise with them.
Can two people from the same Board apply for the funding for the GovernorSpace Governance Leadership Programme?
Yes, from July 2019, two board members may now apply for the funding.
Can Independent Schools apply for GovernorSpace?
The DfE funded programme is only available to maintained schools and academies but independent schools can still benefit from the programme by purchasing GovernorSpacePlus.
Can I book training without applying for the funding?
Participants can only book training by either applying for funding or purchasing GovernorSpacePlus or ClerkSpacePlus.
How do I book training?
Booking training is easy. Just log in to your GovernorSpace dashboard at www.governorspace.co.uk/login
- there is a “forgot password” button just in case! Click the TRAINING button on the left and that takes you to the booking screen where you can book yourself (or another member of the Board if you’re on the Governance Leadership programme) onto a training session.
How many credits will I have?
Participants on the Clerking programme have 5 credits, those on the standard programme for Governance Leadership have 6 credits and those on the higher programme have 18. You can see your remaining credits on your training dashboard.
What can I spend my credits on?
Choose from the following:
- Online interactive training session = 1 credit
- Recorded on demand training session = 1 credit
- One of our courses delivered online, exclusively to your Board = 6 credits (not available for Clerks)
- 45 minute mentoring session for yourself or anyone on your Board (on top of those included in the programme) = 3 credits
- 45 minute personal development telephone/Skype coaching session for yourself or anyone on your Board from an expert educational leadership coach = 3 credits
- 45 minute telephone consultancy session from a professional governance consultant on a topic of your choice e.g. Ofsted framework, risk management, headteacher performance = 3 credits
- Bespoke online training session designed to meet your needs on a topic of your choice = 15 credits (not available for Clerks)
How long do the sessions last?
All training sessions whether live, recorded or exclusive are 1 hour in duration.
Are the sessions interactive?
All live sessions are interactive, and you can ask questions as the session goes along or at the end.
What if I don’t have a microphone?
Don’t worry if you don’t have a microphone. All participants are muted to minimise background noise. Questions are asked via the chat panel in writing.
What if I don’t have speakers?
You can dial in to the training to hear the audio, even if you don’t have speakers.
Can I book anyone on my Board onto the training?
Yes, if you’re on the Governance Leadership programme you can, you just need their email address, so you can send them the registration information.
Is the training face to face?
No, all the GovernorSpace training is delivered online as either live and interactive sessions at a particular time OR you can download recorded versions of the training to watch at your leisure.
What courses are there?
Training titles for the Governance Leadership Programme are:
1. Accountability for Governors
2. Being an Effective Chair
3. Essentials of Governance
4. Finance for Governors in Academies
5. Finance for Governors in Maintained Schools
6. Governance and the School Community
7. Self-Evaluation and Developing an Effective Team
8. Staffing and Performance Management
9. Statutory Requirements of Governance
10. Strategic Leadership for Chairs
11. Strategic Leadership for Governors
12. Understanding Governance in Academies
13. Understanding Governance in Maintained Schools
14. Using Data and School Improvement
Training titles for the Clerking Development Programme are:
1. Clerking: Administration
2. Clerking: Advice and Guidance
3. Clerking: People and Relationships
4. Finance for Clerks in Academies
5. Finance for Clerks in Maintained Schools
6. Understanding Governance in Academies
7. Understanding Governance in Maintained Schools
8. Writing Effective Minutes
Do you run courses in the evening as well as during the day?
Yes, our courses are scheduled at various times of day and evening.
Can I transfer the log in to someone else?
Yes, if you let us know who you would like to take over, we can arrange this for you.